Monday, June 23, 2008

All Right...After returning from my vacation, I am continuing to research the basics needed to build a multi-touch table. Of course, there is the hardware, but then the software is also essential, as there is not a significant amount of multi-touch software out there. In order to be able to write code compatible with TouchLib (I intend to connect the table to a PC), I need to know a good bit of C++, a language that I have little to no experience with. To learn enough for my table to be useful, I am going to start with an online tutorial (CPP Tutorial), and then see if I need more.

In terms of hardware, I need to make sure I have all the tools and materials that I will need available to me-specifically items needed to build the body of the table and the FTIR frame. I have had some trouble finding an affordable piece of pre-polished acrylic-my local sign shop is quoting $150 for the size I believe I need...so I need to do a little more looking for that.

So, while I haven't actually started assembling materials and putting it together yet, the process has started. Realistically, my starting date won't be for a couple of weeks at the least, due to my time constraints (summer stuff) as well as time to buy and ship the parts. More soon!

No comments: